In May last year, the European Commission published the Farm to Fork Strategy for a fair, healthy and environmentally-friendly food system in the context of the European Green Deal. It is now up to the European Parliament to discuss the Farm to Fork Strategy and prepare its reaction in the form of an own-initiative report (INI Report).
In the framework of these discussions, the Biodynamic Federation Demeter International joined 24 civil society organisations in the areas of environment, consumers, food systems, animal welfare, health, consumer co-operatives, farming, fisheries, development, social justice, climate, and forestry to set out 10 key priorities which they call on the Members of Parliament (MEPs) to endorse in their report.
Ambitious Farm to Fork Strategy
With Europe still coping with the Covid-19 pandemic, it is a pertinent time to build the foundations of a resilient, healthy, equitable, ecological, and overall sustainable food system that can withstand future shocks. The signatory civil society organisations urge MEPs to support an ambitious Farm to Fork Strategy which can deliver this much-needed change on the following 10 priorities.
- Recognise the need for urgent and bold action
- Endorse the Farm to Fork targets
- Unlock the transition to agroecology for nature and climate-friendly farming
- Make the healthy and sustainable food choice the easy one
- Launch a transition to less and better animal farming and meat, dairy and eggs consumption
- Align EU agri-food policies with the European Green Deal
- Promote precaution and farmers’ rights before technological innovation
- Commit to a socially just economy
- Step up for higher animal welfare
- Promote global transition
Contact: Clara Behr, Head of Policy and Public relations