Animal welfare is our highest priority.
In biodynamic farming, animals are part of the farm organism and their needs and wellbeing is respected and looked after in every way.
Farmers create conditions on their farms that allow animals to behave in a way that suits their nature, free-range and pasture-fed.
- Animal feed ideally comes from their own farm and is not bought in.
- They are not mutilated – dehorning, debeaking, wing clipping, tail cutting and tail docking is prohibited.
- The use of hormones and the preventative use of antibiotics, is not allowed.
- Animals and poultry on Demeter farms are usually kept in small herds or flocks. This allows them to express natural social behaviour, ranking order and provides enough space for them to roam free.
- Ruminants and other farm animals not only provide valuable manure for compost, but they also shape and enliven the farm. This is why Demeter requires animals to be part of the arable farming process. Cattle in particular, play a central role in the farm organism.