The Demeter trademark is the only global brand to recognise certified products and produce that is biodynamic. Our strict standards go above and beyond organic, providing you with premium quality products. Demeter products are always certified to both organic and Demeter standards.
The highest quality - guaranteed by the Demeter Standard
Biodynamic farming methods provide the best conditions for plants and animals to thrive and express themselves to their full potential, which means they are filled with nutrients and vitality. The way nature intended.
Even when food is processed, our standards ensure that nutrients and vitality is preserved and that authentic food with character is delivered. The Demeter standard is considered the most consistent in the organic sector, and applies to both production and processing.
Standards are checked regularly but above and beyond this, Demeter producers and processors share other common ideals. Namely, respectful treatment of nature and the environment, striving for the highest standards of quality and a greater sense of responsibility towards their communities and workers.
Demeter goes beyond organic
The EU organic label sets a minimum standard for organically produced food. Demeter’s philosophy and farming methods, however, go far beyond this standard. This benefits the quality of the food as much as the environment. For example, a focus on soil quality and regeneration with required preservation of biodiversity. The consistent development of the standards and regular inspections results in the highest quality produce and products.
- 100% conversion of the farm to biodynamic land
- Animals integrated into the arable farming system, supporting soil regeneration
- All farm animals are fed a 100 percent organic diet of which at least 80 percent of the feed ration for ruminants, and at least 50 percent of all other animals, must be biodynamically produced.
- A minimum of 50 per cent of the fodder comes from the farm itself or a nearby partner, supporting the ideal of a closed system.
- No painful dehorning of cows, debeaking of poultry or docking of tails. Animals are treated with respect as sentient beings.
- Use of biodynamic preparations, from herbs, minerals and cow manure, to stimulate soil regeneration and essential organism growth.
- Demeter farmers use biodynamic seed, guaranteeing no genetic modification of any kind
- Only a limited number of absolutely necessary additives are permitted in processing. Iodisation, the use of nitrates and ‘natural’ flavours are prohibited. Only flavour extracts are permitted. The EU organic standard still allows additives that Demeter biodynamic standards prohibit.